Campus: Willow Street | CIP Code: 51.0899
Instructor: Mary Barr
Instructor: Patient Care Technician
- Mary Barr has 35 years experience in the nursing field. She began her education with a Nursing degree from St. Joseph Hospital School of Nursing, Lancaster, received her Vocational II certification from Penn State University, and is working towards her B.S. in Workforce Education. Mary’s nursing experience includes 21 years at Community Hospital of Lancaster in the pediatric, medical-surgical nursing and Intensive Care Unit, 8 years of medical office experience at a family practice and pediatrics, and 5 years of insurance experience working at Keystone Heath Plan Central processing utilization review and claim review. She has 25 years experience as a volunteer EMT with a local volunteer ambulance.
- Mary is involved with PA District 23 Little League and volunteers with Strasburg Sertoma Club. She enjoys camping and cats. Mary is married and has a daughter who attends the University of Edinburgh, Scotland.
Career Focus Statement
Prepare for college, registered nurse, and/or licensed practical nurse program, other healthcare areas, or for immediate employment in the healthcare field.
All Patient Care students will:
- Earn National Skills Certificates, i.e. National Occupational Competency Testing Institute (NOCTI) and PA Skills Certificates.
- Successfully transition into a 1st career job and/or related post-secondary training.
- Be proficient in their career major and demonstrate proficiency through hands-on performance and theoretical testing.
- Be a driving force on a professional healthcare team delivering high quality patient care.
- Deliver basic patient care and perform therapeutic and diagnostic procedures in a hospital setting, physician’s office or home health agency.
- Practice ethical standards, confidentiality, and professionalism when interacting with patients, clients and co-workers.
- ECG/EKG Technician
- Patient Care Assistant – Acute Care
- Pharmacist Assistant