Program Description: The program combines classroom theory and laboratory experience on topics including patient assessment, documentation, prevention techniques, therapeutic dental hygiene treatment, local anesthetic, sealants, impressions, fluoride application and dental radiography for entry level dental hygienist.
By completing the program, students will be eligible to take the dental hygiene national boards and state/regional clinical boards. Students will be instructed on dental hygiene practice, dental practice administration, dental radiology, and all aspects of customer relations. The demand for trained dental hygienists has steadily increased over the past decade and this growth is expected to continue. Dental hygienists may find employment opportunities in private dental offices, public health clinics, hospitals, dental insurance companies, educational facilities, and dental sales.
LCCTC does not guarantee job placement to graduates upon program completion and graduation. Graduate may need to relocate to attain employment after program completion.
To assist students in obtaining the entry level technical skills and work ethics necessary to qualify for employment and success in the Dental Hygiene field.
1. Provide patient assessment, problems identification, plan intervention, implement the plan, evaluate effectiveness, and document patient procedures.
2. Demonstrate ethics and professionalism.
3. Demonstrate aseptic techniques and proper instrument processing.
4. Demonstrate entry level competency in all areas of legal dental hygiene procedures.
5. Clean, maintain, and sterilize instruments and equipment.
6. Perform diagnostic tests including radiographs.
7. Administer local anesthetics.
8. Prepare surgical equipment, and pass instruments and materials for a variety of dental procedures and be able to explain these procedures to patients.
Program Length: 22 months – August, 2020 – June, 2022
Full-Time Days: Monday through Friday