- Gain real word experience during your 8-10 week externship
- Graduate from our 21-month degree program with a solid foundation and vital skills that will make you an asset in the veterinary practice setting.
- Small class size in our Veterinary Technology (AST)
- Veterinary Technology (AST) at the Lancaster County CTC is accredited by the Council on Occupational Education – https://council.org/
What is Veterinary Technology?
The program combines classroom theory and laboratory experience on topics including care, surgical procedures, proper washing and feeding techniques, and overall care of animals. By completing the program, students will be eligible to take the Veterinary Technician National Exam (VTNE) for Licensing as a Certified Veterinary Technician. In the Veterinary Technology Program, students will be instructed on veterinary practice and administration, including topics on how to obtain animal health records, schedule appointments, admit and discharge patients, file medical records, handle receipts, perform basic client education, and all aspects of customer relations.
Your Future In Veterinary Technology
General Veterinary Skills
- Clean and maintain kennels, animal holding areas, examination and operating rooms, and animal loading/unloading facilities to control the spread of disease.
- Hold or restrain animals during veterinary procedures.
- Administer medication, immunizations, and blood plasma to animals as prescribed by veterinarians.
- Assist veterinarians in examining animals to determine the nature of illnesses or injuries.
- Clean, maintain, and sterilize instruments and equipment.
- Perform routine laboratory tests or diagnostic tests such as taking and developing x-rays
- Monitor animals’ recovering from surgery and notify veterinarians of any unusual changes or symptoms.
- Administer anesthetics during surgery and monitor the effects on animals.
- Prepare surgical equipment, and pass instruments and materials to veterinarians during surgical procedures.
Programs Course Catalog
Veterinary Technology (AST)
2 Years, 1535 Hours, 74 Credits
Program Description: The program combines classroom theory and laboratory experience on topics including care, surgical procedures, proper washing and feeding techniques, and overall care of animals.By completing the program, students... Read moreLearn More
Why Lancaster County CTC
Your return on investment (ROI) is as important to you as it is for us. We are incredibly proud of our competitive tuition rate, and completion rate.
Affordable hands on education opportunities with some of the best tuition rates in the region.
Small Class Size
Build personal relationships with instructors and classmates with small class sizes dedicated to your education.