Campus: Mount Joy | CIP Code: 52.1905
Instructor: Alison Shepler
Instructor: Event Planning & Tourism Services Management
Originally from upstate New York, Alison graduated from the Hotel & Restaurant Management program at Paul Smith’s College. Alison worked up from a Front Desk Clerk into various departments including, Front Office Manager, Catering Manager, Director of Sales and General Manager. She joined LCCTC as an instructor in 2007.
Alison has a daughter Emmy who is 11. As the parent of a dyslexic child, she feels a responsibility to provide an atmosphere conducive to learning for all pupils within her class.
Alison volunteers (and has students help her) to run her daughter’s swim teams Invitational each summer which draws about 1500 people to the pool on a Wednesday evening.
Career Focus Statement
Prepare for professional hospitality and event planning careers with immediate employment or further education.
All Culinary Arts students will:
- Earn National Skills Certificates, i.e. National Occupational Competency Testing Institute (NOCTI) and PA Skills Certificates.
- Successfully transition into a 1st career job and/or related post-secondary training.
- Be proficient in their career major and demonstrate proficiency through hands-on performance and theoretical testing.
- Deliver superior customer service to hotel and event guests.
- Team with industry professionals to plan and assemble upscale events and experiences.
- Design promotional flyers and presentations.
- Front Desk Agent/Supervisor
- Housekeeping Inspector/Supervisor
- Marketing & Sales Representative
- Reservations Agent
- Night Auditor
- Catering Representative
- Event Planner
- Vacation Planner