Full-time Position, Available on: 2022-04-14
WGAL, the Hearst Television NBC affiliate in the Lancaster-Lebanon-Harrisburg-York, PA market, has an opening for a full-time assignment editor. We are seeking a self-motivated individual with newsgathering experience. The successful candidate has excellent organizational and communication skills. Our assignment editors work with our news team to find enterprising stories as well as taking the lead on breaking news.
· Listen to multiple police scanners which cover dozens of agencies throughout our market.
· Monitor social media for story ideas and news tips.
· Gather and organize press releases, emails, phone calls and viewer tips. Take initiative and decide which of the above will yield compelling content for newscasts.
· Assist our news management with content gathering and planning.
· Assist producers, digital editors and reporters with story gathering.
· Keep track of crews in the field and maintain communication with them.
· Furnish content and post to all digital platforms—including but not limited to sending push alerts, Twitter and Facebook posts.
· Experience listening to police scanners is a plus.
· Knowledge of digital platforms, especially social media will be beneficial. Successful candidate will be asked to monitor multiple social media accounts in order to gather content and communicate with news makers.
· Familiarity with local newsgathering technology and terminology is recommended.
· Organization is important.
· Ability to work on multiple projects simultaneously will be needed.
· Should be able to foster and maintain professional working relationships with newsmakers.
· Ability to gather information from multiple sources simultaneously and quickly communicate it to anchors, reporters, producers and digital editors will be important.
· Strong candidates will have a sense of urgency and the ability to thrive in a high-pressure breaking news and weather environment.
· Ability to remain calm and level-headed during breaking news situations if preferred.
· This position will be appealing to candidates with excellent communication skills.
· Good candidates will have a willingness to work a variety of shifts including weekends, nights and holidays.
· College degree in broadcast journalism, broadcast news, or related field is beneficial.
· Military training and experience in related field will be considered.
As part of its continued efforts to maintain a safe workplace for employees, Hearst Television requires that all newly hired employees be fully vaccinated (as defined by the CDC) against the coronavirus by the first day of employment as a condition of employment, to the extent permitted by applicable law. HTV will consider requests for reasonable accommodations due to medical and/or religious reasons on an individual basis in accordance with applicable legal requirements.
Company: WGAL TV
1300 Columbia Avenue, Lancaster, PA, 17603, US
Contact: Hearst Careers