May 5, 2020
CARES Grant Money Available for LCCTC Post-Secondary Students in Eligible Programs
The US Department of Education has just released grant funds, through the CARES Act Higher Education Emergency Relief Fund, to eligible post-secondary students whose lives have been seriously disrupted by the Covid-19 pandemic. In general, students who meet basic eligibility requirements for federal financial aid and who experienced an increase in expenses related to the disruption of campus based training due to Coronavirus may receive a portion of these grant funds.
The US DOE Office of Post-Secondary Education has indicated that the grant money is intended to help post-secondary students cope with expenses for food, housing, course materials, technology, health care, and child care. The grant is not a loan and does not need to be repaid. Additionally, participating in the grant will not affect your established financial aid.
According to the grant, these funds are available to students in the following post-secondary LCCTC programs:
- Automotive Technology- post-secondary certificate and associate degree (AST) programs only
- Dental Assisting- post-secondary only
- Dental Hygiene
- Early Childhood- post-secondary only
- Medical Administrative Assistant- post-secondary only
- Medical Assisting- post-secondary only
- Plumbing- post-secondary only
- Practical Nursing- current cohorts
- Veterinary Technology- current cohorts
- Welding Technology- post-secondary only
- Advanced Welding Technology
Students will be awarded grant money in direct proportion to the number of credits/hours for the program in which they are currently enrolled. Overall distribution amounts will depend on the number of applications that are approved.
If you are a student in one of the eligible programs, please apply soon. This grant is time-sensitive and we want to get the money into eligible students’ hands as soon as possible.
UPDATE – October 5, 2020 – The LCCTC has reached our limit regarding this grant and it will no longer be awarded.